God's Word for Today

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Weekly Yarn - April 28th

From Our Honorary Member: Carolyn is our new member from Greer, SC who has completed several helmet liners, prayer shawls, and prayer cloths for the Prayer Shawl Ministry.

     Martha also sent me a copy of your newsletter and I want you to know that I am extremely happy to be considered as an out-of-state Honorary member of your group.  I have never enjoyed knitting as much as I enjoy making the prayer shawls.  I told my husband that it was a real pleasure to just knit and not have to worry about whether or not it would fit. 

     I just thank God that I can knit something that will hopefully bring comfort and maybe a ray of sunshine into someone's life.  It is such a joy to be able to share these prayer shawls with someone in need.  No one will ever receive the blessing from the items that I receive in making and giving them.  If my knitting is a talent, then I praise God for giving it to me.  

     You are indeed doing a wonderful service in reaching out to others and I would like to say a heartfelt thank you.

                        Sincerely,

                        Carolyn

What Is A Prayer Shawl?  (From Annie’s Attic/Crochet Prayer Shawls 2 Pattern Book)

“Prayer is the practice of communicating with God, a request or a petition.  In John 17, Jesus set the example for us to pray for one another.  Now imagine a gift that is handcrafted with prayers, wrapped in love in order to bring comfort to the recipient and blessings to the donor.  Now, think prayer shawls.  When we stitch prayer shawls for those we love and care about, we are following Jesus’ example, for as we stitch, we also pray for the person for whom we are creating the shawl.  A prayer shawl can be a way to reach out to others who are hurting or simply a way to let someone know we are thinking of them.  When stitching a prayer shawl, we petition God with every stitch on behalf of the person who will receive the shawl.  The petitions are continued throughout the creation of the shawl.  Upon completion, a final blessing is offered before the shawl is given.”

The final blessing is offered on each completed item at the Prayer Shawl Ministry Wednesday evening meetings.  The item is then stored in the Prayer Shawl cabinet until it is selected for delivery to the person God has chosen to receive that particular item.  When it’s delivered, it goes out with a card that includes a blessing for that individual.  God’s ministry of making Prayer Shawls blesses not only the recipient, but the person doing the stitching as well.  Give thanks that you have been blessed with the time and the talent to make a gift that will give another person such comfort and joy.

May Birthdays:  Please wish Lisa a Happy Birthday on May 6th.  It seems she’s our only “birthday girl” this month.

Communion Sunday:  May 23rd is the next Communion Sunday.  Please mark your calendar to arrange the Prayer Shawls at 9:15 for the 9:30 service, at 10:45 for the 11:00 service, and fold and put away at 12:15.

New Patterns:  Attached are two crochet patterns and two knit patterns for your “viewing pleasure”.  If you have any trouble opening and printing the patterns, please let me know so I can make a copy available at the next meeting.

 

Just A Note:

“This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.”  - John 15:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by "Wednesday's in the Parlor"

We love comments!

Blessings and "Bless Your Heart!" from everyone in the parlor!